Kazanian Cat is a monument in Kazan, opened in 2009.
From historical legends it is known that the Russian Empress Elizaveta Petrovna learned that there are no mice in Kazan. In those days in Kazan there was a special breed of mouse-catching, or "fighting" cats, whose representatives were strong, active animals "with large heads, muscular necks, developed shoulders and short tails." By a special order dated October 13, 1745, thirty Kazan cats were transported to St. Petersburg for catching mice that had proliferated in the unfinished Winter Palace. Placed in service in the Life Guards to the sovereign, the cats did their thing. In memory of their work during the XVII-XIX centuries, the collective image of a cat of Kazan, named Alabrys, became a favorite character of cat drawings, and in the 21st century - an object of monuments.
The monument is located in the city center, in middle of the pedestrian street Bauman (at its intersection with Musa Jalil street, next to the historic hotel "Kazan"). The sculptural and architectural metal composition is 3 m (9 ft. 9 in) high and 2.8 m (9 ft. 3 in.) wide in the form of a well-fed cat lying in a gazebo on a pillow with a mouse, was created by the Kazanian sculptor Igor Bashmakov, an honored artist of Tatarstan, and cast from aluminum at an art- casting plant in the city of Zhukovsky. The sculpture is tinted in the color of old silver, which, according to the author's explanation, always was the favorite metal of the inhabitants of Kazan. The dome and columns of the structure are decorated with stained glass and pieces of mirrors. At the foot of the monument there is an engraved phrase "Kazanian Cat: Astrakhan mind, Siberian brain ..."
The monument, worth about one million rubles, was made with the help of business sponsors and support of the city administration, has become a landmark and symbol of the city.